Thursday, August 30, 2012

Soundtracks on Every Street

This week has been a whirlwind of adventure. Is it possible to sum up all that I have seen and experienced in the past 5 days?  Even uploading pictures doesn't help.  You cannot hear the sounds, smell combinations of city, street, people, and cuisine.  You cannot feel the sweltering, suffocating heat of the tram, or understand the absurdity of trying to read lips that form consonants you have never even heard before.  As I stare at this computer screen, I want nothing more than to slam it shut and never have to try and write a blog post again.  The task of summing up an experience that fully consumes all five sentences daunts me. But, nevertheless, I will dive right on in and bring you into my experience as best I can.

First I will start with this picture:



Can you see my dilemma here? How can I explain to you the immense size and grandeur of St. Stephen's Cathedral when I can't even fit it in a camera? Trying to see everything and soak it in effectively describes this past week.

Monday, August 20 started off with Hungary's huge holiday, St. Stephen's Day. I would describe it as Hungary's "4th of July."  St. Stephen was Hungary's first king who also made Christianity the official religion of the state.  On this day,  Budapest is filled with tourists and Hungarians alike.  As the day goes on, the city fills up until it seems it is bursting at the seams with people, food, music, and other festivities. There are people lounging in the park,  eating at cafe's, gobbling up the edible goodness offered by the many street vendors taking advantage of the crowds.  Budapest becomes one thorough celebration. Speakers appear everywhere; from every cafe, every street corner, every stage music is blaring, providing a soundtrack for every celebrator's experience.  

My day consisted of exploring the city with my group, going to a museum solely for the luxury of air conditioning and being pleasantly surprised by the exhibit of Hungarian folk culture,  watching the St. Stephen's Parade (which was disarmingly solemn...but we did get to see St. Stephen's alleged hand!)

Here is a snapshot of one section of the parade. We were told later that the parade celebrates religion but is also full of Hungarian pride.  Our professor said the song they sing repeats a plea to God to show compassion on them because they are a people who has suffered enough for generation to come... so that explains why it was so solemn!

annnd there you have it!  The adorned hand of St. Stephen.  It is actually really gross looking and slightly creepy, but nonetheless, a relic. 

Then...FIREWORKS! After the sun goes down, everyone flows to the Danube to watch the holiday's fireworks shoot up over two bridges that connect Buda and Pest.  The city lights, fireworks, and reflections on the river make for a beautiful show.  Everyone flocks to the street vendors for food and beer before the show.  With my amazing luck, I got a FREE BEER because, as a typical foreigner, I didn't have small enough coins to pay for it.  Now, how does that happen!? I'm still confused.


Basically, the day consisted of AN OBSCENE amount of WALKING!!  It's ridiculous how much we walked! Oh well, that just means I can have another scoop of gelato ;)

I enjoyed myself the most while I was walking along the Danube at dusk.  My group was busy trying to find a place to eat so I trailed along behind them looking at the setting sun reflecting off the river and the windows of the riverfront buildings.  Even though the city was so busy with more people in one place than I have ever seen,  I felt surprisingly peaceful.  I was in my own little world enjoying the mind-blowing beauty of Budapest and it hit me that I was actually here, that I get to enjoy this view everyday.  As I walked along the Danube at dusk on St. Stephen's day, I said a prayer of thanks and wonder for how incredibly blessed I am.

As I look back at what I have written, I'm even more amazed at all that I have experienced. Cathedrals, no-smile parades, bridges, fireworks, and accidental free beer.  I've decided I'm going to break up the past week into multiple posts so that I don't overwhelm myself...or you. :)


Also, the pictures of the parade and fireworks were provided from my new friend and roommate, Katie.  Check out her blog: http://katieishungryforhungary.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment