Monday, August 20, 2012

Seriously!? I get to live here!?

The title above was the exact words that entered my mind about 50 times as I road the tram this afternoon into Budapest.  It was absolutely breathtaking and unbelievable! Don't believe me? Look below.
View of Parliament. Breathtaking.
Food and candy sold by street vendors.  Please candy man, do you have to tempt me?
St. Matthew's Cathedral.
Also shown to the left and below.
The Chain Bridge.  Connecting Buda and Pest.
So beautiful to walk over.



 




St. Stephen's Cathedral.  St. Stephen's hand supposedly resides here.  The huge holiday tomorrow commemorates this saint.
See? Told you it was beautiful!  And...WHAT!? I actually get to be here for FOUR MONTHS!! Ridiculous. I couldn't stop staring and taking pictures; I looked like a total tourist.  Oh well, I figure at least the first week I'm here I can be tourist instead of a resident...right?  Anyways I took some super touristy pictures as well.

Overlooking Parliament and the Danube from the view point. 

Ronald Reagan even made it to Budapest! He was kind enough to hold my hand long enough for the picture.
After we looked over the city from the Buda side, we crossed over the Chain Bridge you saw above to the Buda side.  The Chain Bridge, which is a pedestrian bridge, was my favorite walk. Exquisitely carved lions boarder the entrances and look over the pedestrians from above as well.  On the Buda side we walked through the city looking at all the shops.  We passed the US Embassy (I looked for Joe just in case:)) and ended up by St. Stephen's Cathedral (which you also saw above) before we had dinner at my prof's apartment.  On the way, we passed some adorable children playing in a fountain near the Embassy.



We ended the night by walking down a pedestrian street and all getting a glass of wine or beer and found our own way back to our dorm BY OURSELVES! It was super easy and convenient; we only had one tram ride with no transfers. We got to the dorm before midnight because we want to rest up for all the festivities of St. Stephen's Day tomorrow; it should be an adventure! 

Fun Fact: I learned today that Calvin College is third in the nation for offering the most study abroad programs.  Can you believe that!? I go there AND I'm taking advantage of it!


2 comments:

  1. Welcome, little cousin! Can't wait to see you. Next time you are at the big Basilica, check out Gelato Rosa ( near Starbucks).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, Erika! Makes me want to come there! ;)

    ReplyDelete