Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hungarian 101: Crash Course Edition

Days 5-8 are a blur of information; barely separating, the continuous stream of new information make me feel as if I have been in Budapest for weeks when in reality I haven't even completed my first.  Why? You may ask, How can sight seeing give you that much sensory overload? Erika, don't be such an exaggerator. Ha! Well let me tell you!

First off, I have NOT been only sightseeing.  I have literally (and by literally, I mean figuratively) collided with Budapest.  After our dream world on St. Stephen's day, our endearing program director arranged an "Amazing Race: Budapest Edition."  Split up into groups of three and equipped with nothing but a map and three addresses, we set out with the fear(lessness) of Spanish conquistadors and braved our quest to conquer Budapest's public transportation system and return with the spoils of pictures taken in front of our three given destinations.

Karl Marx statue located in Corvinus University, one of the universities we will be attending this semester.

My teammates and I (John Michael and Kellen) infront of the Japanese Gardens on Margit Island.
My group came in second, but, in our defense we beat the winning group by a minute! ...but...we posted the pictures in the wrong facebook group. whoops :)

Even thought we hiked around Budapest in the 100 degree weather, I was still thankful for the excursion because we had to figure out the transportation system in small groups.  After the "Race," I felt confident that I would be able to navigate the city using the map. I was no longer wary of the metro that lacked English announcements.  Connecting trams, busses, and metros to arrive at a destination came with pleasantly surprising ease.  Oh, the possibilities that opened up after that sweltering, tiring race!  Thanks for that Feenie! :)

Interesting side note:  my group has come up with the most endearing nick names for our program directors. None of which we say to their faces, but endearing none the less.  Our professor's husband, Bernard Feenstra, has become:
- Berns
 -Bern
 -but most affectionately
                                         Bernie.

While Cheryl Feenstra is now referred to as:
-Sher
-Shirley (not sure about the etymology of that one)
-and my personal favorite
                                          Feenie.

So, after a few days our beloved directors will always endearingly be known as Bernie and Feenie in my mind.

Just a happy picture of a gelato sign to break up the word monotony.
      The next collision I had with Budapest was my first ever Hungarian language course.  Every morning I drag myself out of bed and climb three flights of stairs to be bombarded with 100's of new vocabulary words that are composed of sounds new to my alphabet.  It is impossible to retain all of the information we are given, but our enthusiastic Hungarian professor, Kata, has starry-eyed (read: ridiculously unrealistic) high hopes for our ability to retain and understand the Hungarian language. (star=csillag pronounced chi-log...kind of)


details.
       For two and a half hours we learn the most confusing language ever that has the uncanny ability to be unlike any language I have ever been exposed to.  Every day we have a quiz from 30 words she assigns us to memorize, and by words I mean Hungarian phrases that contain at least 5 words.  However, I now know a few basic phrases, the alphabet, and am able to read and pronounce (sort of) Hungarian words.  All in all, I have a love/hate relationship with Hungarian class.

       





         Okay, Okay, so my collision with Budapest has truly been anything but hard. Actually its been absolutely stupendous! The perks of only having class from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm are abundant. We break loose from Hungarian class and explore the city!  Seeking refreshment after a week of being unable to escape the suffocating heat,  about 10 of us went to Margit Island and went to a HUGE water park after our first day of Hungarian class!  The water park, Palatinus Strand, had four pools varying in function and temperature. No matter your aquatic desire, Palatinus Strand has a pool for you; it boasts a sports pool, a large (LARGE) hot tub, a cooler pool with a whirlpool-like lazy river in the middle, an even cooler pool abundant in fountains, and--wait for it--a pool with FIVE WATER SLIDES! Wait, it gets even better, we got a 50% student discount! We bought this amazing experience for the equivalent of $7.00. Could it get any better?

I did not take a picture of this place, but I snagged some from google images so that you could "get the picture." (sorry for the joke.)





 



















Seriously, none of the pictures could even fit in the water slides.  I definitely recommend this place.







Most often, I have been exploring Budapest through its abundant cafes.  After lunch I set out with a group of friends and we walk the streets looking for a cafe.  I adore this ritual; all throughout Hungarian class, it's all I can think about.  "30 minutes until I can leave this place and sit on the sidewalk at a cute little table drinking a 'kave'." I take pictures of the food, attempt to order in Hungarian, and watch the passerby; I love these hours of my day.

My favorite cafe I have found, Hybrid Art and Kave, is located a little north of a main tram stop, Kalvin ter, off the 47 line.  It is down a street called Brody Sandor u.

Why is it my favorite?

It is off the main street so it is more peaceful and quiet; the calmness is a welcomed refresher from the hustle and bustle.  While Hybrid is Hungarian, it also has English translations on its menu and the waitresses understand you.  Also, it has working WiFi and a fair amount of seating outside with even more tables and chairs inside.  THE INSIDE: is amazing, it has art displayed all over the white walls creating a rustic modern look, a cement winding staircase leads to the open second floor, the second floor has a raised seating area covered in....wait what am I doing? Why don't I just show you?


Yes. That is Tiramisu. Also known as Divine
Friends Rachel and Taylor.  We stick out as
Americans like a sore thumb with our laptops
and inability to refrain from laughing.

The street has a tucked away feel accompanied by the calm courtyard of a neighboring museum.
 










Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the staircase...I was probably too busy looking at it.  I'll try to remember next time :)







As my first week of living in Hungary concludes, I look forward to colliding with the culture, people, art, and beauty of the city even more. I'm not sure about the language, but I'll keep giving it a try.  I cannot wait to see what this semester has in store for me. I don't know what to expect, I know that it's going to be an adventure.






3 comments:

  1. Darn I wrote this huge long comment about how good your writing was. And good you look... And how much I can hear your thinking as I read you blog. But when I went to hit submit it won't let me till I select a profile.... Hopefully this works. Your pics are professional

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! Too bad the fist comment didn't work :)

      Delete
  2. Finally... It's so hard to comment on your blog... But I guess you won't be getting any ads. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete